When I was younger I used to consider the words "Truth" and "Fact" to be entirely synonmous. To me you couldn't have truth without indisputable evidence to back it up. I have gradually come to realize how this was among many of my oversimplifications of social reality. Of course, I didn't much like acknowledging the existence of any reality besides an objective one, and considered myself above socially accepted definitions, so even if I had known about the socially constructed term of "truth" I probably wouldn't have accepted it anyway.
I have come to understand the potential dominance of social reality a lot better.
Truth does not now, nor has it ever really had anything to do with facts. Truth seems to actually mean "I have an emotional committment to this statement that takes precedence over other considerations."
I haven't quite adapted to this concept yet, but at least I understand it. I don't feel as compelled to argue facts with people that claim truth anymore. In light of this definition the entire concept of arguing truth seems ridiculous, and I was in fact making a fool of myself when I did it.
Bleah.
For me and me alone I maintain truth = fact.
Thursday, December 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment